Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nostalgia

The other day, I learned that my family would be spending Thanksgiving in Los Angeles this year.  This is opposed having the LA Crew drive to Fresno, which we have done almost every year for the past ten years. This works out perfectly for me as I was planning on driving back to LA on Friday to work on my Finance presentation due the Monday after Thanksgiving and my Econ paper due a week later.

Finance is a puzzle to me

I recently realized that I have officially lived most of my life somewhere besides Fresno.  Granted Fresno is the one place I have lived the longest, it was also the place I could not wait to escape for the thirteen years I lived there.  The fall of my senior year of high school, I remember proudly telling my parents that a year from now I would no longer be living there. Despite how that may have made them feel, I was just itching to get out and start my own life.

Now, there is a little part of me that is sad that I will not be spending Thanksgiving in Fresno this year.  Fall is my favorite time of year in Fresno.  The 100+ degree heat is finally gone, the leaves start to turn orange and yellow, and the fog comes.  I LOVE the fog of the San Joaquin Valley.  It quiets the city and gives you an eerie feeling of being all alone.  Going to school on foggy days, there was always an inner hope of the school actually disappearing and we could go home. On very rare occasion we would get a foggy day schedule in which school would start late.  This is the closest to having a snow day in Fresno.

Fall is also football season everywhere.  I am not a football fan, but in high school I was.  I loved going to the games sitting in the student section wearing the t-shirts designed by you and your friends while dancing to Brass Monkey and This is How We Do It.  When it got colder and foggier (sometimes you couldn't see the stands across the field) we would wear our lettermans jackets, which were perfect for this weather and so warm.

I wish it were still cool to wear these.
**not my actual jacket**

I have not gone back to a Homecoming game at my Alma mater nor did I attend the any formal/informal class reunion.  I had no desire to and I am not sure if that has changed or not.   I do know that I have recently been thinking fondly of my life in Fresno.  I am glad that my family will be together for Thanksgiving, but I will miss the Fresno setting this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment